Moulds family Olive Groves
When we designed our landscape, we wanted to use some ancient olive trees as a sculptural highlight around our farm home. We added more in the periphery as a warm and beautiful vista. We have several varieties to add character to the olive oil, California Mission, Spanish Manzanillo, and Italian Sevillano, classic, 120 year old trees, and French Picholine are major producers of oil. The Olive Oil from this Original Grove we call our Mediterranean Blend. We have been harvesting this grove for 16 years and have shared the wonderful oil with family and friends.
In 2015 we were cutting back blackberry vines in a very overgrown corner of the Ranch, when we came upon an old hand dug, brick lined well. It was at ground level, about 20 feet deep and full of timber. Who knows who dug it or when, but we decided to resuscitate it. We built up the sides and turned it into a functioning wishing well. Roberto’s young daughter was so taken with the well and the bucolic location, that she asked her Dad if she could be married right there. When Steve heard that, it touched his heart, and led us to develop this beautiful gathering spot surrounded by Oak trees with a path leading in from the vineyard lined with Olive trees. We all love it there.
Our second Grove of olive trees along the path to the Wishing Well is made up of mostly Italian varietals, the classic prolific producers Leccino, Frantoio, and the pollinator, Pendolino, plus the little Spanish olive that provides lots of oil, Arbequina. The Olive Oil from this Grove we call our Italian Blend. We have been pruning and shaping these trees into the classic goblet shape for three years, so have diminished their production, but watch out 2019!!
Olio Nuovo – Olive Oil
As we walk through the olive groves in the fall, we observe the olives turning color, ripening and becoming full of rich deep flavors. This maturation creates creamier flavors in the black olives that we think blends so well with the picante flavors of the green olives. When the balance between the black and the green is just right, we will harvest.
The olives are immediately delivered to the mill and, in a few hours, we are rewarded with an olive oil that is bright green and opaque called “Olio Nuovo.” We are intrigued by this most fresh olive oil that is bursting with peppery, fruity and slightly herbaceous flavor. So, for the first time in 2018, we have decided to bottle a very limited amount of Moulds Family Vineyard Olio Nuovo and offer it to you, our friends and neighbors.
The gift of our new Olio Nuovo or our Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a welcomed one. Both oils are full of healthy nutrients and taste so wonderful that your friends will enjoy them readily. Knowing that you are supporting a local sustainable ranch that gives the best of care to their oils is so rewarding. We are happy to take orders for our 2019 Extra Virgin Olive Oil as well as the 2019 Olio Nuovo now.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Perfect size for small, special gifts; fits well in any cabinet—including yours. Elevates any salad or meal to extraordinary!
- Certified Extra Virgin by the California Olive Oil Council as demonstrated by the seal placed over the label at the upper right corner
- Original Mediterranean and Italian Blend, 100% estate grown, 100% sustainably grown and produced
- Rich, creamy taste with a hint of spice on the finish. Bottled in dark opaque glass to protect the oil from light and preserve freshness.
- Made with Moulds Family olives, carefully cultivated on the Western Bench of Napa Valley’s famous Oak Knoll District
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Perfect size for gifting to the true olive oil lover and chef—or using in your own kitchen. Elevates any salad or meal to extraordinary.
- Certified Extra Virgin by the California Olive Oil Council as demonstrated by the seal placed over the label at the top right.
- Original Mediterranean and Italian Blend, 100% estate grown, 100% sustainably grown and produced.
- Rich creamy taste with a hint of spice on the finish. Bottled in dark opaque glass to protect the oil from light and preserve freshness.
- Made with Moulds Family olives carefully cultivated on the Western Bench of Napa Valley’s famous Oak Knoll District.
375ml OLIO NUOVO
Olio Nuovo Olive Oil
- You can’t find a more unusual or rare gift for yourself or your family and friends.
- The freshest olive oil you will ever find.
- The best Olio Nuovo comes directly from the producer. You can not buy it in the store with confidence.
- Sediment will appear at the bottom of the bottle as the oil clarifies. Best used with in three to six months of the harvest date.
- We are confident you will find this bright, pungent, fruity oil to be unlike any olive oil you’ve tasted from Moulds Family Vineyard.
- Made with Moulds Family olives carefully cultivated on the Western Bench of Napa Valley’s famous Oak Knoll District